Tuesday 21 November 2006

In the beginning...

This is primarily a Linux blog used to keep track of and share my experiences using Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake. I'll be writing this for both the less-nerdly and more-nerdly types, so you'll see both technical and non-technical terminology. This is an experiment for me, and I hope any hiccups I encounter may help you too.

I'm a Computer Scientist. Any of you know what that actually means know that it doesn't necessarily mean that I know how to put together a system or know how to set up servers. That being said, I can figure out most stuff given time, and have gained some knowledge of such things on my own.

I actually tried putting Red Hat Godknowswhatversion on an old box several years ago, but that ended badly. Though I had programming experience, everything had to be learned again (what do you mean I have to compile something just so my fricken' mouse will work????). The experience was not intuitive and I was used to doing things the Windows way. After spending weeks on the system, I gave up. I only had so much spare time.

I had been toying around with the idea of going to Linux again since about January 2006. From what I heard, Linux had matured; so had its applications and add-ons.

After some research, I decided to use Kubuntu. Kubuntu is based on Ubuntu, but with a KDE desktop in stead of GNOME (meaning: it looks different and acts a little differently). After getting over my fear of royally messing up my only computer at home, I took the plunge.

No comments: